03 October 2012

Apples, Apples, and More Apples!

I've spent the last week trying to use up all the apples from our Skytop trip. We started with Apple Chicken on Monday night. Tomorrow I plan to try this Apple Cream Cheese Bundt Cake with Praline Glaze. After today's recipe (which is the point of this blog post), I had three apples left over, so I decided that Apple Fritters sounded good. I'll make those on Saturday so that my husband will be home to get some fresh out of the grease!

Anyway, today I made my mom's famous homemade applesauce! She got it out of an old cookbook (which I'm sure is out of print now) about cooking with honey. So I can't really give credit to the author at this time. If I figure it out, I'll come back and add it! UPDATE: I found out from my mom that she actually got the recipe from a friend in Indiana 28 years ago. She jotted it down on the inside back cover of her cooking with honey cookbook, so that's why I remember it as coming from that book!

I'm going to follow blogging protocol and post a wordy description along with pictures of my attempts to follow the recipe and then post the actual recipe in word form below. If you're like me and you just followed this on Pinterest and you don't care about my witty descriptions, you can just skip to the bottom and read the recipe!


I started by cutting up all the apples. I used my handy-dandy corer/slicer to chop them up and then peeled off the skins and sliced each piece in half long-ways.


Then I decided to cook them in the Crockpot instead of on the stove. It took about 3-4 hours.
They cooked down to a nice mush! I was planning to leave it a little chunky, but I forgot about it while we were eating dinner, so it came out really smooth.
Then I added all the ingredients.
The finished product! So yummy! I saved out some for tonight and froze the rest. (I also pulled out some for our son before I added the honey, since he's under a year old.)


So there you have it! It was delicious. And here's the real recipe.



A HONEY OF AN APPLESAUCE

5 quarts apples (peeled, cored, cut in eighths)
1 1/2 C water
1/4 C lemon juice
3/4 C honey
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg

Cook apples in water to desired mushiness (chunky or smooth). Stir in remaining ingredients. Cool. Freeze in amounts appropriate for your family (if there is any left after they taste it!)

No comments: