- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thawed if you're using frozen chicken)
- 1 pound short-cut pasta such as penne
- In a medium bowl, mix together mushrooms, soup, soup mix, and chicken broth.
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of crockpot.
- Top with soup mixture.
- Cover, cook on low for 6 or more hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving, use two forks to shred the chicken breasts. Stir the meat into the sauce.
- Cook pasta according to directions on package.
- Stir pasta into chicken and sauce.
- Garnish with sour cream and fresh parsley or chives.
- I used whole wheat pasta to add some extra protein.
- Also, I boiled the pasta to just shy of al dente, about a minute less than the minimum recommended time on the package. That way, it could finish cooking in the crockpot.
- I also added about a 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water from the pasta to the sauce before I mixed in the pasta to help it stick.