14 November 2012

Thanksgiving Challenge, Day 14


Day #14: I'm thankful God is near when I call.

"The LORD is near to all who call on him. . ." (Psalm 145:18).

At ten months, my son still doesn't often sleep through the night. He normally wakes up once, usually in the wee hours of the morning. It doesn't really bother me when he does this because I know he's just hungry. He almost always eats and goes right back to sleep. And, as his mother, I can't bear the thought that my child would be awake in the dark crying out in hunger (or fear or pain) and have no one come to him.

The point of this post is not to pass judgement on anyone's parenting decisions, nor am I soliciting advice on how to help him sleep through the night. (I realize I may need to teach him that at some point, but for now I'm content with being there when he needs me.) I'm just comparing my son's call to me to my call to my Father. He is near when I call, so near that he can always hear me. Whether I'm calling out in helplessness, despair, anger, and fear or in praise, thanksgiving, joy, or love, he's right there to hear me. Just as I come running when I hear my son call, so God hears me when I call to him!

No comments: