15 November 2012

Thanksgiving Challenge, Day 15


Day #15: I'm thankful that God speaks through his word.

"Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law" (Psalm 119:18).

It's so amazing that we have God's Word to light our way and show us where to go (Psalm 119:11), and that all of God's Word is profitable for our lives (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Sure, certain sections of the Bible are hard to understand. That's why it's great to have tools such as commentaries and study Bibles to help in figuring out meaning; and we can't forget that God has promised to illuminate our minds so we can understand. (Of course, if we're coming up with new doctrine that no one has discovered in 200 years of church history, we should probably double-check that we heard God right!) The more I learn about God's Word, the more I realize that it is God's story, not mine. He didn't really give it to me to help me make my life work. He wants me to step into his story and be a part of what he's doing in my life and the lives of those around me. When I begin to grasp this, I do begin to see wonderful things in God's Word. Let's read expecting God to speak!

No comments: